Sunday, November 4, 2012

Some rules aren't meant to be broken

This is going to be a short one tonight as I just don't have the energy to rant as much as I would like.  A tragedy took place at the Pittsburgh Zoo today.  A two year old fell into the African wild dog (also known as painted dog, African hunting dog) exhibit and died.  Unfortunately, one of the endangered dogs was killed as well.

Here's my rant--this tragedy was completely preventable.  The mother was seen holding her child up on top of the railing to give him a better view.  People, zoo barriers are there for a reason. They aren't there to piss you off because your view is blocked or your perfect photograph is ruined.  They aren't there for your kids to climb on like monkey bars.  Mostly they are there for your safety.  Sometimes they are there to protect the animals from you.

The rules are not made for someone else.  They are made for you.  For a reason.  Please follow them.  My heart goes out to the family, but also to the staff of the Pittsburgh Zoo.  I hope they are not blamed, or even worse, sued for what happened.

African wild dogs at Lincoln Park Zoo, Chicago.  Photo by me.



No comments:

Post a Comment