Saturday, November 3, 2012

My love/hate relationship with running

Here's something you might not know based on my Facebook posts: I hate running.  OK, hate is a strong word, but it's not something I get out and do because I love it.  I do it because it loves me.  I don't need special equipment, I can do it anywhere, and just a few months into starting running again, I've dropped 20 pounds.  I can't turn a blind eye to that!  But when I'm out running, it takes all my willpower to keep going.  I hit more mental walls in a three mile run than you can believe.  I usually can push through them.  Not always.

Yes, I used to be a runner in a prior life.  I ran cross-country two years (freshman and junior) in high school, but here's a secret: I didn't love running then either.  I liked it, but I liked being part of that team more.  That's why I ran--that and I sucked at volleyball.  I was a jock, I had to do something.  And I'm glad I did--because the years I didn't run, I managed cross-country because our team was like family.  But it was never a love for running that kept me going, and it isn't a love for running that keeps me going now.  It's the love of the feeling I get when I'm done running that keeps me going.  That and the 20 pounds.  And the fact I'm not out of breath when I walk up a flight of stairs anymore :)

Getting water during the Vibha 5K, October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment